Thursday, October 7, 2010

You won't be forgetting this one for a long time.....

Well it has been a while but so begins another "season" of blogging you could say. I don't really know why I go on these long hiatuses, cause I'm sure it annoys the heck out of you, but I'll try to be better about that from now on. Either way I'm here with a Halo:Reach review, and Bungie's swan song to Halo is as good as it looked and more. That's both figuratively and literally, as the game is both impressive graphically and in the absolutely insane amount of options you are given. So I'll be dividing the review into sections so it won't seem like I'm rambling. Well it'll still probably seem like I'm rambling.

Campaign:

The campaign starts with a very atmospheric first level as an elite group of Spartans dubbed Nobel Team (who consist of Carter, Kat, Jorge, Emile, Jun, and Nobel Six, the character you control who is replacing the latest member to fall in battle) investigate reports of power outages by "rebel insurgents". Turns out, it's the Covenant and if you are crying spoiler then you better leave it anonymous or I will personally ban you from this blog. Yes, the Covenant are in a Halo game, NOT A SPOILER. Ok, so the rest of the game has Noble Team doing whatever they can to keep Reach from falling, which (as we all know and therefore isn't a SPOILER) they fail at. The sense that no matter what you do you are not going to win hangs over the entire game, and it is easily the best and most thoughtfully put together campaign in a Halo game to date. While the rest of Noble Team isn't as personified as, say, the characters in Mass Effect, it is a step in the right direction, and even when the tagline is "From the Beginning you Know the End" they still manage to throw curveballs you won't see coming. Overall the campaign is going to last you around eight hours on normal, but believe me when I say that this is the hardest Halo game yet, even without Jackal Snipers. Legendary is hard as heck, and due to the scaling difficulty, bringing your friends along only adds to the challenge. There are some truly standout moments, and I would recommend Reach for the campaign alone, even if you didn't get the stellar multiplayer package.

Multiplayer:

Bungie pulled out all the stops for Reach, and it shows most in the expanded multiplayer offerings. Fighting across eleven maps and ten game modes, the multiplayer package is EXTENSIVE. Taking a cue from COD4 (like every other shooter these days) you can level up and purchase new armor and other extras I won't spoil here in the new Armory. It's surprising how much you'll play just to get a freaking helmet. But beyond that, the multiplayer offering is truly stellar. The excellent matchmaking service is back, and works quicker than ever. Invasion is as awesome as it was in the beta, and a few things have changed since then. Grenades have changed from being small rolling balls of death in the beta to being slightly less effective in the finished game. However, I found myself using them more than I had in Halo 3. Melee attacks are weaker than ever also (they only drain an opponent's shields) but the awesomely gratifying assassination moves make up for it slightly. The great thing I've always loved about Halo multiplayer is how balanced it is, and even with the new power weapons like the Plasma Caster (I refuse to call it the Plasma Launcher and Focus Rifle it retains that level of balance where something is never strong enough to where something else can't beat it. The only negative thing I would say about the multiplayer is the maps themselves. While most are quite good, none of them are really knockouts, and none rival the amazing map selection in Halo 3. Overall, the multiplayer is addictive, balanced, and fun as heck, and the new modes like Headhunter and Invasion don't hurt either.

Forge:

This is the part of Halo: Reach that truly stunned me. The simple act that objects can now float opens untold possibilities. Me and my friend built a city in two hours that would've taken us two years in Halo 3, that is if it would've been even possible in Halo 3 to begin with. Forge World itself is huge, with many different areas to create actual maps to play on or just fun structures to share with your friends. I saw a guy who built the Death Star, THE FREAKIN DEATH STAR. Forge is truly endless, and if you've got a mind for creativity then you're gonna have your hands full for a long long time.

Firefight:

Yes Firefight is back, and as Cliff Bleszinsky would put it, it's bigger, better, and more badass than ever. You can now essentially Forge on Firefight, and you can create different game modes (all grunts all the time is included don't worry) with innumerable permutations. You can set what weapon you spawn with, the amount of health you have, the enemies you want to fight, it's just truly stunning what Bungie has let you do this time around. Also, having Firefight work toward your Multiplayer progress as well doesn't hurt either. The Firefight map selection is also very good, possibly better than the Multiplayer ones, with Courtyard and Corvette the true standouts.

In closing, Halo: Reach is Bungie's magnum opus, and they've let you have everything you wanted and more with this final "true" Halo game. The story, the graphics, the sound, the multiplayer, and everything else is equally fantastic, and it's got more content on the disc than nearly any game on the market. If you want a game that satisfies and keeps you coming back for more, Halo: Reach is a necessary buy
Final Score: 9.75 out of 10

-Smith

12 comments:

  1. I am the first person to comment!! thats exciting..and hmm...I read the first paragraph..and the last..the rest I skimmed and realized it would make no sense whatsoever..so I didn't find the time to read it..haha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me 6 hours to beat on normal... actually less but just saying. Decent review

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you didn't mention any of the framerate drops but that's okay i guess

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's because I didn't experience any frame rate drops

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me like 6 hours to just read the post.......haha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah. I try to read. And I usually follow... But i'm REALLY sleep deprived, so i read the first paragraph and decided to come back later :)
    *Jewel*

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah really the framerate can get horrendous at times i dont know what planet your living on

    ReplyDelete
  8. you obviously dont even know what a framerate is

    ReplyDelete
  9. well I happen to know a frame rate is the amount of frames a game can push per second, most games these days tend to run at 60 fps but some run at 30. I experienced no framerate drops playing the game, so I don't know what to tell you

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where's da fable 3 review? By the way I miss your blog posts smith lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. bull play the last level with the holdout on legendary and come back and you can see;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm 47 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had the flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting in underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they started to find a solution on their own to help my condition.I am a 47 now who was diagnosed with COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but I was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe   total cure herbal medicine. My husband saw his testimony on the internet that he used his powerful medicine to cure different diseases. We contacted his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and other diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
    Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2349010754824
    God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life.

    ReplyDelete