Saturday, May 29, 2010

Is Survival Horror Dead?

Yes, you read that right, is the Survival Horror genre dead? I've wondered that ever since Resident Evil 5, which don't get me wrong, was an incredible game. However, the main problem I had with it was, it was not scary in the slightest. The franchise that began the franchise of horror, was now no longer a horror game. Next came Silent Hill: Shattered Memories that, while providing some scares during chase sequences, was largely an adventure game. The two franchises that began the genre are now moving away from what they did so well back in the day. I think it reflects how that genre is moving at large. When was the last game that truly truly scared you, and did not offer just the shock or thrill of being overwhelmed by enemies. When was the last game that used creepy little girls, dogs jumping through windows, and ambient music to create an experience that truly scared you. I mean even Alan Wake, which was one of the few games lately that creeps me out, was more a thriller than a horror game. Heck the box says "A psychological action thriller". The last game that was truly horror for me was the original Dead Space, which truly scared me and even though I dreaded every new corner, I never wanted to stop playing. It used atmosphere, music, and horrifying enemies to truly provide a terrifying experience. Even this franchise is supposed to have "Modern Warfare levels of action" in its second installment, according to the project director himself. So where has the horror game gone? More importantly, will we ever find it again?

-Smith

8 comments:

  1. Truest words I've heard in a long time. I agree with every word. Well done smith!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well..I know nothing about video games at all..but I will say that music can make everything scary..like even things that are in no way scary at all..music makes them that way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally agree the music makes anything scary

    ReplyDelete
  4. the most important factor in anything thats scary for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes..music is so scary..haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree on the music thing. just that can
    make you wanna pee your pants, especially in horror movies and games and stuff. But you know, there is this movie that I was watching on HBO with my sister called The Birds, and it was truly horrifying. However, there was not a single piece of music in the whole thing! Not even a "duh-duh!" when someone found somebody else's dead body, mangled by the birds! Pretty image, right?
    *Jewel*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jewel...wow..that is creepy...haha...I would not want to see that..scary...

    ReplyDelete