Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why is the biggest always the most evil?

Yes it seems that, as Abe Lincoln said so long ago "If you want to test a man, give him power". Well the "man" I'm talking about is Activision, and they have most certainly failed that test. I can't say we didn't see there eventually corruption coming. From charging a 120 bucks for a piece of crap Tony Hawk game, to CEO Bobby Kotick saying that the he might quit developing for the ps3, they have been in the headlines a lot lately. Then comes the firing of Jason West and Vince Zampella, the leaders of Infinity Ward and the two brains behind the great Modern Warfare games and four of the six COD games out so far. From what I understand West and Zampella didn't want to develop Modern Warfare 3, instead wanting to create a brand new I.P. That is fine, as a developer you are always getting new ideas and coming up with different games. However, Activision, being the biggest third-party publisher in the world, only cares about money, and I'm sure they didn't want to take the risk of publishing a non-established brand. Apparently West and Zampella went to other publishers to see if they could negotiate something, and they ended up getting fired for it. Sucks for Activision. Soon after, West and Zampella filed a class action lawsuit, claiming they had sole rights to develop any Call of Duty game set after The Vietnam War. I've seen the agreement, technically they do have creative control. I guess that explains the setting of Black Ops huh? Until this whole thing is sorted out Activision can't make a COD game after Vietnam in risk of violating that contract. It seems these issues aren't stopping West and Zampella though, as they formed Respawn Entertainment and soon basically everyone from Infinity Ward had joined them. They have even signed with Activision's biggest competitor, EA, to help work on the new Medal of Honor, a franchise they also created. More power to them. I'm fed up with Activision trying to "Maddenize" all of their franchises and firing two of their best developers because of their inability to take a risk on a new franchise. I am currently boycotting Activision and their ridiculously priced Stimulus Package. Here's hoping Respawn really shows up Activision this year

-Smith

22 comments:

  1. bla-de-bla bla bla...that made no sense at all..like no sense..nope..none at all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well I personally think I sounded very professional.

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha..ya it probably did..it just made no sense to the average person..and i think you should go and comment on my blog..i updated it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw and already did, btw check your email I think my message went there

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok..my email is sitting here..and i dont think i have gotten anything..i will go personally check becuase my computer is being stupid but ill try..

    ReplyDelete
  6. K I sent you a message and I think it went to your personal account actually the one you are following my blog with

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok...oh i think i see it now..it is on this blog..k..hold on...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man. Sucks for Activision. I'm siding with whatever their names are.
    *Jewel*
    P.S. Go read my comment on Kara's cause then you'll know why I'm commenting anonymously

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did read your comment......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh....look at that..majority is still winning..and kara and smith do NOT i repeat do NOT have a ring to them...hhehehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would just like to say that majority is still winning...NO is the correct answer..Kara and Smith, Smith and Kara, however you would like to say it..they still do NOT have a nice ring to them...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I see you play KIngdom Hearts. I like your style :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well hello anonymous...my name is Kara.. I have no clue whatsoever about video games..
    So that is my story..goodbye...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know @ anonymous

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous is a very scary word. you never know who it is..It could be a lot of people and they could be like stalking you or something...it also is spelled weirdly...anonymous...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And by the way, hello. Jewel had a link to your blog on hers, so I decided to check it out. So hello.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just got done reading that last post. 120 bucks for a game?? What kinda game is worth that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Jacquie and Anonymous!!! I know Jacquie, but I would love to know who Anonymous is..hehe..
    and to the Anonymous reader out there..idk..I would rather spend that on something else, but as I said earlier, I never play video games..so...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey everyone! Including Anonymous!!
    *Jewel*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jewel!! I know we have already said hi..but I decided to say it again..hehe

    ReplyDelete