Saturday, June 12, 2010

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

This post probably should've gone up before E3, but I forgot after watching GTTV. Well, anyway once again the famed movie critic Roger Ebert once again decided to trash the gaming industry by saying that games are not, and never will, be art. In this month's issue of Gameinformer, Ken Levine (creator of Bioshock) sounded off on this, and if you haven't read what he wrote you need too, it is a great defense of the gaming industry. As for if games can be art, I completely disagree with Ebert, games can be art. In my opinion art is something in which the creator pours all of his effort, time, and heart into something that turns out to be great. Games are completely in. Some games are art in their graphics and style, such as Shadow of the Colossus. Some are art in their stories, such as Metal Gear Solid and Mass Effect. Others are art in their different approaches to gameplay and some change the way you see something. I mean, seriously Mr. Ebert, if you deny that a story as great as Metal Gear's or Mass Effect's isn't art, then I can't imagine that anything else in your view is art. Art isn't just paint on a canvas or words on a page. Art is the work of a talented creator. Games certainly fall into this category, and give up Mr. Ebert, games aren't just something kids play anymore. They are being recognized as art and as a serious medium. We have evolved, and we have shown that we are to be taken seriously. So drop your argument Mr. Ebert. We're tired of it.

-Smith

11 comments:

  1. ok i will give you another chance smith.. that was actually a great post and i agree with you wholeheartedly; well done 5/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jorge. Although I would like to ask what was so wrong with the pre-E3 post :)

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just ripped sony for no good reason when you worshipped microsoft and nintendo to some extent:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idk I think you are confusing sony and Nintendo I really ripped on Nintendo hard and said Sony will definately take away their audience by pushing Move as the Wii HD, that's not a bad thing, in fact it's great since Nintendo seems incapable of realizing that HD is standard now. So that's what I meant sorry if I confused you.

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened to even coming back to this website jorge? You seem like you like this website a lot, or even worse, smith...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. So really. I'm confused. I thought Jorge wasn't coming back. Oh well. WELCOME BACK!!! I liked this post a lot. Maybe even Kara will understand this one!
    *Jewel*

    ReplyDelete
  7. and if i recall jesseppe said he isnt coming bac either..but o well, thats right im the only one that gets my head kicked in in every matter.. jesseppe just gets the spoiled, special treatment

    ReplyDelete
  8. so therefore jesseppe is just a big time, lying, hypocrite:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the smiley face after that haha. But either way if you don't agree with all of my opinions, I'm simply stating them and I have decided that I am happy to have both of you reading this blog.

    -Smith

    ReplyDelete