Sunday, June 6, 2010

Game to movie: The cursed adaptation

Well, considering that Prince of Persia, the highest budgeted game-to-movie adaptation ever, just came out I figured it's a good time to talk about why game to movie adaptations are usually so freaking terrible. Now I have seen Prince of Persia, and in my opinion, it isn't half bad. I got exactly what I expected out of it, which was a very popcorny summer action flick, and not a bad one either. They kept in elements from the game, like the time mechanic and the free running, which was nice. I think in essence that is where most of these adaptations go bad. They either stick incredibly close to the game (Resident Evil) or go completely away from it (Doom). Both of these are usually bad ways to go. As when you stick incredibly close to the game, you get long segments of no story that was just gameplay in the game, and going really far away alienates fans and is usually bad for the story. I think Prince of Persia finally got it right. It kept some elements from the games, yet took its own path with its story. Sadly, it seems it will be the biggest flop in the genre, as its 200 Million dollar budget is a lot to make up. Granted, these movies hardly ever get that much, but they also don't have that big of budgets either. Currently, one of the Tomb Raider movies holds the record for highest grossing video game movie, and it isn't very high. Before I close this post though, I have to touch on something, or rather, someone. The man that is singularly responsible for the bad reputation that most video game movies get, UWE BOLL. Seriously, this man directed Alone in the Dark, House of the Dead, and Bloodrayne, all beloved franchises (well maybe besides Alone in the Dark). None of them have over ten percent approval on rotten tomatoes, in fact Bloodrayne is the highest with an 8% approval rating. It is said that he makes a fortune if his movies sucked, so if that was the idea than mission freaking accomplished. In the end though, video game movies need that one thing, that one masterpiece of a movie, to pull them out of the hole they are in now. A hole dug, by one Mr. Uwe Boll.

-Smith

15 comments:

  1. I was beginning to think you were dead smith. Glad you proved me wrong. Btw, 1st!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we demand content at an breakneck pace smith..you so far havent lived up to my expectations:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well then you write a blog and post more than once every freaking two days I'm tired of this bullcrap Jorge, I am tired of this and you trashing my site. If I had thumbs up or thumbs down you'd have about a billion thumbs down.

    -smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. its about the worst site ive ever been to:( its absolutely pitifully atrocious, im throwing up rite now just thinking about it:( just disgustingly bad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello....i saw prince of persia...and popcorny is an awesome word...and i think that this whole website makes no sense at all..at least though i could read some of this post..haha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I like reading Jorge's comments. I always want to see what he thinks of what you say. Sure, he doesn't have to exactly trash the blog, but it is nice to hear what other people say. And it's kinda funny to watch him and smith go back and forth.
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really want to cause Jake Gyllenhaal is so AMAZINGLY good looking! And other reasons of course....
    *Jewel*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Jewel..I like reading them as well..They are funny..haha.
    And I saw the movie as I said before..and one of the reasons I kept sitting there watching the movie was because of Jake G....his name takes too long to type..haha.. But yes..he is amazingly good looking..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think hes pretty ugly myself lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. hip hip.........Jorge!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I sure don't!!! haha..and neither does Jewel...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Jorge, I'm guessing that you are male because of your name. And if you are male, that would be REALLY weird if you were into Jake G. So I personally think it's good that you don't find him attractive :D
    *Jewel*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah glad to know jorge isn't a queer :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha..Yes..I also believe that Jorge is male..haha.. I think so. And yes that is true..I am thinking it is a good thing..that he doesn't like Jake G... haha..

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think smith is a dork who needs to get a life other than sleeping in his parents basement playing video games all day long

    ReplyDelete